Pollution Control and Prevention
Plating industry may have different combinations of wide variety of processes and there are many ways to improve their prevention or pollution control. Some way that may apply to plating industry as follows:
Changes the Process
- Replace of cadmium substance with high quality corrosion resistant on zinc plating. Use cyanide free systems on zinc plating where appropriate. On cadmium plating can use bright chloride, high alkaline baths or other alternatives, but use complex agent of cyanides may cause problems in waste water treatment for they may result in the release of heavy metals.
- Use trivalent chrome instead of hexavalent chrome for chromium plating.
- Give preference to water based surface cleaning agent, where feasible, instead of organic cleaning agents, because of of those materials are considered toxic.
- Minimize drag-out by affective draining of bath solutions from plated part by measures such as drain holes in bucket type.
- Allow dripping time of at least 10 to 20 seconds before rinsing
- Use fog spraying of parts while dripping
- Maintain the density, viscosity and temperature of the baths to minimize dragouts.